People litter when they believe someone else will pick up after them. This is particularly true when individuals are not aware of the fact that the cost for street and alley litter cleanup is eventually passed on to them in one way or another. Please help to cut the cost of litter removal and improve the appearance of your community by not littering.
Encourage others not to litter and be sure to call the Mayor's Citywide Call Center at (202) 311 or one of the numbers listed below when necessary.
- Excessive trash or debris on private property: Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA): (202) 442-4332
- Hazardous issues related to vacant properties: Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA): (202) 442-4332
- Proper disposal of items not included in DC's curbside recycling program: Earth911
- Removal of graffiti on US Postal mailboxes: United States Postal Service (USPS): Fax (202) 636-2026 or (202) 529-3486
- Problems with a DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) facility: DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) Customer Service Line: (202) 673-7647
Problems on DC Public Schools (DCPS) property: DCPS Facility Maintenance Office: (202) 576-7676